4 Day Classic Freedom Walk
Take your time and enjoy the unique experience of the Aquapackers at Anchorage and the elegant Awaroa Lodge with a day to relax along the way.
Day 1 - Marahau to Anchorage
Approx. 4 hours - 12.4km
You will be picked up in Nelson or Motueka by Abel Tasman Coachlines and transferred to Marahau and the Aquataxi base. The walk today is 12.4kms and passes through regenerating forest, beside beautiful golden sand beaches while paralleling the Astrolabe Roadstead – the waterway with Adele and Fishermans Islands defining it.
Linger at one or more of the beaches – Apple Tree Bay being a favourite, before gaining some altitude (approx. 100m) with resultant magical views over all of Tasman Bay, before dropping into the perfect beach of Anchorage and your boat accommodation for the night.
You are picked up off the beach and shuttled out to the boat. After settling in perhaps a swim and a little later on a BBQ is served on the top deck.
Accommodation – Private room with shared bathroom on the Aquapackers
Day 2 - Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet
Approx. 8 hours - 23km (or 19.8km with tidal shortcut)
After breakfast you are shuttled to shore and begin your walk for the day – today is a big day in the heart of the park.
You begin by crossing the Torrent Bay Inlet to the settlement there before heading inland before descending into Medlands Bay and then coming across Bark Bay. From Bark Bay you ascend again to the highest point (approx. 135m) before descending into the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned. It’s a great spot for a break, Tonga Island sits out there directly in front of the quarry and it’s a great place for a swim.
The long Onatahuti Beach is the next feature and you meander along it soaking up the beauty – and a tidal estuary crossing meets you at the end of the beach. From there a gentle ascent through manuka and tree fern forest until you turn off to Awaroa Lodge, your accommodation for the night.
Accommodation – Awaroa Lodge
Day 3 - Rest Day at Awaroa Lodge
Take it easy for the day or ask us about a guided kayak tour to see the sights of Abel Tasman National Park from a different perspective.
Day 4 - Awaroa Inlet to Totoranui
Approx. 2.5 hours - 5.5km
It is with reluctance that you leave the style, casual elegance and beauty of Awaroa and make your way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. Here the track weaves it way through some amazing virgin New Zealand forest with podocarp giants reaching skyward, before bursting out on yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay.
Up and over another headland with huge native Rata trees clinging to the granite cliffs. It's here you see your destination, the beach of Totaranui stretching out in the distance. Before long you see tents, cars and people as you make your way to the pick-up point for our water taxi journey back to Marahau. On this you complete your Abel Tasman experience by seeing from the sea, all the landscape you spent 3 days walking through.
Once back in Marahau, transported is included back to Nelson.
Price for the 4 Day Classic Unguided Walk $1119 per person based on twin share
- Hotel transfers ex Nelson, Motueka or Marahau
- 3 nights' accommodation on the track staying in a private room with shared bathroom on board the Aquapackers in Anchorage and 2 nights' in a Hotel Room at Awaroa Lodge, Awaroa.
- 3 packed lunches
- All water taxi shuttles
- All bag transfers
- Breakfast and BBQ dinner included on board the Aquapackers; no other meals included
- Single room occupancy an additional $570NZ
- Your detailed personalised itinerary, maps and other information
Add on First Day Guided - $350 per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide to provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Abel Tasman Track experience. Your informative local guide will explain the significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience