3 Day Classic Freedom Walk
One of our most popular trips, showcasing the best of the Abel Tasman Coastal Track in just three days!
Day 1 - Marahau to Anchorage (approx. 4 hours - 12.4km)
You will be picked up in Nelson by coach and transferred to Marahau and the Aquataxi base. The walk today is 12.4kms and passes through regenerating forest, beside beautiful golden sand beaches while paralleling the Astrolabe Roadstead – the waterway with Adele and Fishermans Islands defining it.
Enjoy walking along the beaches – Apple Tree Bay being a favourite, before gaining some altitude (approx. 100m) with resultant magical views over all of Tasman Bay, before dropping into the perfect beach of Anchorage and your boat accommodation for the night.
Accommodation – Private room with shared bathroom on the Aquapackers
Alternative accommodation options for this evening are Glamping in Anchorage or returning to Marahau and staying in B+B accommodation
Day 2 - Anchorage to Awaroa Inlet (approx. 8 hours - 23km (or 19.8km with tidal shortcut))
This morning you begin by crossing the Torrent Bay Inlet to the settlement there before heading inland and descending into Medlands Bay and then coming across Bark Bay. From Bark Bay you ascend again to the highest point before descending into the historic Tonga granite quarry – long since abandoned. It’s a great spot for a break, Tonga Island sits out there directly in front of the quarry and it’s a great place for a swim.
The long Onatahuti Beach is the next feature and you meander along it soaking up the beauty – and a tidal estuary crossing meets you at the end of the beach. From there a gentle ascent through manuka and tree fern forest until you turn off to Awaroa Lodge, your accommodation for the night.
Accommodation – Awaroa Lodge
(Day 3 - Awaroa Inlet to Totoranui (approx. 2.5 hours - 5.5km))
Leaving the elegance and beauty of Awaroa you make your way across the huge Awaroa Inlet to Pound Gully. Here the track weaves it way through some amazing virgin New Zealand forest with podocarp giants reaching skyward, before bursting out on yet another golden sand beach – Waiharakeke Bay.
Up and over another headland with huge native Rata trees clinging to the granite cliffs. It's here you see your destination, the beach of Totaranui stretching out in the distance. Before long you see tents, cars and people as we make our way to the pick-up point for your water taxi journey back to Marahau. On this you complete your Abel Tasman experience by seeing from the sea, all the landscape you spent 3 days walking through.
Once back in Marahau you meet your transport back to your accommodation in Nelson.
Please note - Part of the track is tidal and the tides (and accommodation availability) indicate the direction of the walk and this may change from the itinerary above, according to the tide timetable of the dates you choose for your walk.
Price for the 3 Day Classic Freedom Walk - $859 per person (based on twin share)
- Return Transfers between Nelson and Marahau
- A full trip briefing on arrival in Marahau
- 2 nights' accommodation
- Packed lunch each day
- Breakfast and BBQ dinner included on board the Aquapackers; no other meals included
- Water taxi shuttle from Totoranui back to Marahau
- Overnight luggage transfers
- Your detailed personalised itinerary, maps and other information
- Single room occupancy an additional $345NZ
- Available year round (limited accommodation options May - October)
Add on First Day Guided - $350 per person
- For those that want the added value of a local guide to provide full interpretation on the area, this is the perfect way to start your Abel Tasman Track experience. Your informative local guide will explain the significant historical area as well as provide detailed information on flora and fauna along the trail and general track advice. You are then well equipped to continue on your way for the remainder of your independent track experience